WORDprints

places where God's Word has touched my life and left it's impression

Sunday, December 12, 2004

a shaped vessel

"And we know that in all things
God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose."
Romans 8:27

At first reading this sounds somewhat like a christian version of "and they lived happily ever after" - in the end God works it all out for good. But just what is "for the good"? And just what is "his purpose"? Next verse......
"For those God foreknew
he also predestined
to be conformed to the image of his Son,"
In other words, he so orders our lives, that all things are for the purpose shaping us to the image of his Son. Just what does that take? Jesus himself "although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered." (Hebrews 5:8) If Jesus who was perfect learned in this way, how can we, who are very far from perfect, expect to learn while living lives of ease? I know I am a slow learner in the easy times.
Yet, when things start going wrong in our lives, and we start worrying that everything is spinning out of control, we pray "God, quick fix this problem!" Maybe, what most needs fixing, is not "the problem", but we ourselves. God sees our lives as a whole, and these circumstances are just tools in his hands as he shapes us to better reflect Jesus Christ. Our lives........ "drawn (shaped) with living-kindness." (Jeremiah 31:3) That is why we can, and need to, give thanks in all circumstances.... even in the difficult ones, because that is when God is most shaping us. And yes, we still pray, but we pray as Jesus prayed - "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." (Luke 22:42)
"Therefore we do not lose heart.
Though outwardly we are wasting away,
yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
For our light and momentary troubles
are achieving for us an eternal glory
that far outweighs them all.
So we fix our eyes
not on what is seen,
but on what is unseen.
For what is seen is temporary,
but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Dear Lord, only you know my heart and my ways, and just what it will take to shape me to the image of your Son. Help me to remember that you are the potter, and I am the clay. Help me to trust in you, and make me willing to be shaped by you, for your purposes. Help me to give thanks, even when the shaping is painful. Thank you for shaping me with such loving-kindness. May your will be done, amen.