WORDprints

places where God's Word has touched my life and left it's impression

Saturday, October 22, 2005

humility

"If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others..
Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death - even death on a cross!
Therefore God exlated him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is LORD, to the glory of God the Father."
Philippians 2:1-11
*
It is so easy to read this and see where others are really failing in living this out. Right now two people I know very well and care deeply about, are going through a business partnership split. This is due, at least from my perpective, to these verses not being lived out. And the results are painful, and will probably leave scars through families and our church for a long time. And I think, if only they....
But then I realize.... by my accusing, I stand accused of the very same thing. Right now I am the one reading these verses..... they are God's words speaking to my heart, and I know that I certainly need them as well.
*
LORD, I confess that I do much out of selfish ambition and vain conceit, and that I rarely look to the interests of others as being more important than my own. Help me to look to the attitude and example and obedience of Christ Jesus. This isn't easy for me LORD.... please help me in this.
*
In John 3:30, John the Baptist says of Jesus... "He must become greater; I must become less." The same must become true in each of our lives when we meet Jesus... He must become greater; we must become less.
*
LORD, help me to make you greater in my life.
and myself..... less.