WORDprints

places where God's Word has touched my life and left it's impression

Friday, October 14, 2005

seeking God's face

My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek.
Psalm 27:8
*
This is a verse that I've been thinking on for quite some time. But, how exactly, does one seek God's face? It seems to me that there are several things involved in seeking God's face....... scripture reading, prayer, obedience, worship, etc. Primarily though, I think we seek God's face when we seek Jesus. A few misc. verses on the topic:
*
"Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart."
Psalm 119:2
(note how seeking is connected with obedience)
*
"Who may ascend the hill of the LORD? Who may stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false. He will receive blessing from the LORD and vindication from God his Savior. Such is the generation of those who seek him, who seek your face, O God of Jacob."
Psalm 24:3-6
*
"Give thanks to the LORD, call on his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the LORD rejoice. Look to the LORD and his strength; seek his face always. Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced..."
Psalm 104:1-5
(connected with worship/praise)
*
"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
2 Chronicles 7:14
(interesting in this one, while seeking is connected with obedience and praying,
yet it is a distinct and separate action)
*
"If you seek him, he will be found by you."
2 Chronicles 15:2
(a recurring promise)
*
"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:13
*
"And without faith it is impossible to please God, becasue anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
Hebrews 11:6
*
Lord, teach me to seek your face.
*
And the promise of ultimate fulfillment...
"They will see his face"
Revelation 22:4